Senior Associate/Vice President, Transaction Structuring and Tax Advisory
Lazard is one of the world’s leading financial advisory and asset management firms. Our people make the difference. With just over 3,000 employees, our tight-knit community allows for professionals to learn, connect, and grow together. We believe that diversity, equity, inclusion, and allyship are not just business imperatives — they are central pillars of our employee experience. Our entrepreneurial culture and flat structure allow creative ideas and original concepts to drive our business forward — and for careers to take flight.
Lazard’s Corporate functions empower strategic decision-making and ensure continued success of our firm. From Finance & Tax to Communications and Marketing, our colleagues around the globe support our financial advisory and asset management business lines in many ways. By utilizing the latest technology, these integral groups make sure our two businesses are compliant, operationally efficient, and profitable.
The Lazard transaction structuring and tax advisory team has during the last 18 months advised on several of the largest global transactions (including the combination of WestRock and Smurfit Kappa, Western Digital’s spin-off of its Flash Memory business, Southwest Gas Holdings on its spin-off of Centuri Group, Intel on its $30 billion partnership with Brookfield Asset Management and its first-of-its-kind Semiconductor Co-Investment Program, Terminix in its combination with Rentokil, and BellRing Brands on its separation from Post). Other selected transactions the team has advised on include Athene in its combination with Apollo, Johnson & Johnson in its acquisition of Actelion and simultaneous spin-off of Idorsia, the merger of Reynolds American with British American Tobacco, Tyco’s merger with Johnson Controls, and the acquisition of SABMiller by AB InBev and the associated divestiture of SABMiller’s interest in MillerCoors.
New York is the headquarters of Lazard and the office is primarily focused on advising Lazard’s U.S. and European client base. The team in New York has a broad background and experience that we leverage in our client coverage and includes former senior partners of Big 4 public accounting firms and attorneys.
Lazard is seeking to recruit a Senior Associate or Vice President to join the New York team. The candidate will support the senior bankers on each transaction while reporting into the Managing Director, Tax Advisory & Transaction Structuring.
We’ll trust you to:
The Senior Associate / Vice President will be responsible for the day-to-day project management of transaction and marketing efforts and play a supporting role in M&A idea generation and business development. The Associate / Vice President would also assist the team and Lazard senior management on strategic and business development matters. The role and responsibilities would also include:
- Playing a key role in M&A transaction execution;
- Forming a trusted relationship with internal coverage groups and client teams;
- Understanding clients' objectives and offer creative solutions to issues for potential/existing Lazard clients, based on deal context;
- Communicating strategy and project priorities to the team and sets direction accordingly;
- The preparation and production of presentations and marketing materials for financial advisory clients and prospective clients in consultation with senior team members;
- Developing new ideas for the creation of new business;
- Leading communication with internal and external teams, and leverage presentations into constructive dialogue;
- Managing resources efficiently and meeting project deadlines in a timely fashion;
- Acting as an effective project manager;
- Effectively managing own work and assuming responsibility for accuracy, quality check finished products with regards to content generated by the team for clients;
- Collaborating with internal team members and establishing relationships with senior and junior coverage bankers;
- Fostering an inclusive work environment, and encourage an open exchange of ideas and views;
- Demonstrating professionalism, accountability and sound judgment;
- Contributing to firmwide initiatives including recruiting, training, professional development, and other activities; and
- Representing the firm well in all situations and uphold the firm’s reputation.
You’ll need to have:
- The successful candidate will have gained at least two years of prior M&A transaction experience within a law or public accounting firm. At least two years of previous tax and corporate M&A transaction experience is required;
- Minimum college degree and preference for J.D. or CPA background;
- Strong written skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills with the ability to maintain relationships with colleagues and clients at all levels;
- Excellent technical tax skills and an ability to convey the tax analysis to colleagues in plain English;
- Solid understanding of financial modelling and processes that support the M&A approach – e.g. valuations, company overviews;
- Outstanding quantitative and qualitative analytical skills to quality check extensive modelling within excel presentation preparations;
- Previous experience in conducting other financial and strategic analysis;
- Self-motivated with demonstrated ability to manage conflicting priorities and requests;
- Ability to take initiative and function independently, balanced with strong team skills;
- Demonstrates awareness of the regulatory environment; and
- Must maintain high standards of professional and ethical conduct, adhere to legal and regulatory requirements of the banking environment and follow Lazard policies and procedures.
What we offer
We strive to enhance the total health and well-being of our employees through comprehensive, competitive benefits. Our goal is to offer a highly individualized employee experience that enables you to balance your commitments to career, family, and community. When you work for Lazard, you are working for an organization that cares about your unique talents and passions and will continue to invest in the development of your career.
We expect the base salary range for this role to be approximately $225,000 - $275,000. Various factors contribute to determining the actual base compensation offered, including but not limited to the applicant’s years of relevant experience, career tenure, qualifications, level of education attained, certifications or other professional licenses held, relevant skills for the role, and if applicable, the location in which the applicant lives and/or from which they will be performing the job. Base salary is one component of Lazard Corporate’s compensation package, which also includes comprehensive benefits and may include incentive compensation.
Diversity and Inclusion at Lazard
Lazard is an intellectual capital business focused on delivering the best advice and solutions to clients. Achieving these objectives requires us to identify, develop and retain the best talent. A workforce comprised of people with varied backgrounds and experiences creates a rich diversity of thought that empowers us to challenge conventional wisdom, as diverse perspectives lead to better decisions.
Our appreciation of diversity’s strength is ingrained in our multi-cultural heritage. As a global firm that has grown organically from local roots in different countries, we have a deep tradition of respect for individual differences, which has been core to our success for several decades.
The ongoing cultivation of diversity and an inclusive, equitable culture are essential to our continued growth. We are committed to sustaining an environment in which all employees – regardless of socioeconomic status, race, color, nationality, religion, gender, sexual orientation, physical abilities, veteran or military status – can bring their whole selves to work to maximize their individual potential and our collective success.